Farm’s History

The Blevins Family

Preston Blevins was the first in the family to own this property — four generations ago. The son of James Blevins and Mary “Polly” Wolfe, Preston was born around 1861 in Alleghany County, NC. His father, James, was killed during the Civil War at the battle of Fort Harrison on September 30, 1864. Preston’s mother, Mary “Polly” Wolfe, remarried around 1867 to William Thomas Bolt. After her death in 1910 of consumption, Preston moved to Casey County, Kentucky with his step-father, Thomas Bolt.

On May 17, 1915, Preston (the great-grandfather of the current owners) purchased 96-acres of this farm from Mrs. Elizabeth Weibel.

Through the years, the farm has been enlarged through the purchase of additional acreage. Preston’s son, Edwin Blevins (grandfather of the current owners), added land acquired from Andrew Mac Wethington (nearly 16 acres) and Lowell Wethington (just over 20 acres) in 1937 and additional land from Charles Woods in 1954.

The land from Mr. Woods contained the oldest of the current barns (still called the “Charlie Barn”) and the surrounding field. The Blevins family added to that barn in later years. This barn, like the other two, was constructed of timber harvested from the land.

In 1944, Edwin acquired nearly 16 acres from his brother Early Blevins. Thirty-one additional acres were purchased from Ella Helm in 1970.

The Land and Its Structures

The New Barn, a huge tobacco barn built by the Blevins family in the 1950s, sits in Ross field and the Old Milk Barn, built by Papaw “Eddie” Blevins, sits at the edge of Milk Cow Field. Both barns were constructed from Oak and Poplar harvested from the farm and processed on site. There was a bit of Chestnut used on one of the barns, but the lion’s share was Oak and Poplar — which have aged and weathered beautifully.

The Milk Parlor, a concrete structure built in 1996, is nearby in Milk Cow Field. That milking operation ran “full tilt” until 2004.

A smaller barn with open bays is situated between the Milk Parlor and the Farm House.

Milking parlor built in 1996
Milking parlor built in 1996 – as seen from the Old Milk Barn

Water Sources

Near the milk parlor, the Blevins men dug a well — and when they hit the water, “the bit dropped and the water shot up about three feet!” because there is an underground river on that part of the farm which runs with quite a bit of raw power! This well had never run dry — and the family used it to run the dairy barn until “city water” was put in around 1998.

The wooded area surrounding Charlie Field has a creek, called Horny Head Creek – named for the bumpy-headed Shad Fish that live there.

The property contains three ponds. One, situated behind the farmhouse, is fully stocked with fish. Lower Field contains the second largest pond, while the smallest pond straddles the line between Milk Cow Field and Ross Field. The smaller pond has a wild blackberry patch on the Ross Field Side that produces quarts and quarts of blackberries for jam every year.

Drippin’ Spring Holler is in the middle of the woods that separate Charlie Field from Milk Cow Field and Lower Field. In that holler is a spring head that offers a fresh stream of ice-cold spring water all year long and has not gone dry a single time for at least three generations, even in the driest of seasons.

About 60 years ago Curtis Blevins and his brothers installed a pipe into the spring head to avoid the necessity of seasonal cleanings to access the water. It is still running today:

Three generations of the Blevins have drunk water directly from this pipe — and swear it is the sweetest, coldest water on the planet.

All the hollers have their own creeks that run into Horny Head Creek which in turn runs into Woods Creek and flows on down to Green River.

The Moonshiners vs. The Revenuers

The Blevins brothers weren’t the only people who appreciated the spring water in Dripping Spring Holler. When Papaw “Eddie” Blevins was about 10 years old, some moonshiners saw fit to set up their operation in the holler, using water from another spring source — directly across the creekbed from where Eddie and his brothers would later install the spring pipe.

The Revenuers found them there and what followed was a fiery shoot out that left one of the Moonshiners dead and one of the Revenuers injured. About a year after the event, while roaming through the woods, Eddie found one of the guns that had never been recovered. It was a pistol and although rusted, Eddie kept it for years — long enough to show his own son, Curtis.

Gifts of the Land

Charlie Field holds a few other treasures too — openings to caves can be found on the edge of Charlie Field. The top of Charlie Field contains both fossils (some that have been found are rather large) and a quantity of flint that the Blevins children have enjoyed over the years — by slamming the pieces together to watch the sparks fly!

The land offers all types of edibles — from the wild game (including white-tailed deer and wild turkey!) to delicious fruits, berries, and nuts and even wild ginseng in the fall and morel mushrooms (“dry-land fish”) in the spring. There are sassafras roots for tea and other wild riches to discover and enjoy.

Aerial View of Farm For Sale

Take a look at the farm from the sky to see the lay of the land, the fields, the amenities and the wooded areas.